Provides support for all functions of Legal Department with emphasis on e-discovery and other litigation functions, including drafting of discovery and responses, preparation and review of documents for production, support of complex litigation, performing legal research and analysis under direction of counsel, and organization and maintenance of legal files and databases.
- Drafts discovery requests and responses, obtains documents and information responsive to discovery requests, and organizes documents for production. Manages completion of discovery projects, including issuance of litigation holds, tracking custodian responses, document searches and collections, document review database management and other technology initiatives, while keeping in-house and outside counsel apprised of developments. Reviews documents for privilege, completes redaction of privileged matter, and creates privilege logs. Obtains, drafts and organizes documents and exhibits for litigation, administrative and regulatory filings and other matters.
- Responsible for organization and completeness of legal files. Reviews incoming correspondence and communications and takes appropriate action, including responding to correspondence, assembling necessary information and drafting response. Initiates and responds to communications with insureds, claimants, outside and opposing counsel, experts, agents, adjusters and other third parties. Obtains relevant documents such as insurance policies, court records, public documents, applicable regulations and statutes. Prepares summaries, chronologies, spreadsheets and other documents to assist in complex litigation management. Prepares for and participates in in-house review of files, including preparing necessary forms and assembling exhibits. Works with outside counsel in handling of relevant matters.
- Determines and maintains priorities and deadlines, including identifying and advising in-house counsel of deadlines and developments. Assures timely completion of tasks. Maintains and reviews calendar of deadlines and other case management dates. Identifies and tracks status of critical items, keeping managing attorney apprised of same.
- Conducts legal research and analyzes legal issues under the direction of counsel and assists counsel in preparation and submission of pleadings, briefs, exhibits, and other legal documents, administrative filings and corporate documents, including completion of initial drafts of such documents. Obtains applicable court and administrative rules. Assures compliance with court and administrative requirements as to filing form, fees, deadlines, requisite number of copies to be filed and other matters.
- Controls expenses under direction of counsel. Reviews invoices from outside attorneys, adjusters and third party vendors to ensure accuracy and compliance with guidelines. Contacts billing party to resolve questions and errors. Assures corrections and appropriate and timely payments are made.
- Maintains database of forms, research material, and other relevant material.
- May direct the work of legal assistants or law clerks under direction of counsel.
- Performs related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.