*Candidates must be local and able to work in Omaha for at least two semesters while taking on a full-time course load.*
National Indemnity Company (NICO) is one of the leading property/casualty members of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, boasting the highest possible financial strength rating by A.M. Best. Backed by a wealth of experience, NICO offers one of the widest selections of commercial insurance products in the industry and the stability that agents and insureds have depended on for decades.
- Flexible between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
- 15-20 hours per week depending on the applicant's schedule
- More hours available in Summer (up to 40 hours per week)
$13.25 per hour and up
1314 Douglas Street (Omaha World-Herald Building)
This internship will give the qualified candidate an opportunity to obtain valuable experience in accounting and finance. Duties involve collaborating with others as well as working independently and may include the following:
- Actively review and audit accounting process with a focus on inter-company balances.
- Assist with the preparation of various schedules needed for annual financial statements and to meet new reporting requirements.
- Complete monthly/quarterly accounts receivable reconciliations and other selected general ledger account reconciliations as needed.
- Assist with the cash reconciliations and general ledger coding.
- Collaborate with others to assist with compiling information for management, auditors, and accountants.
- Ad hoc Internet research, spreadsheet preparation, some clerical responsibilities such as filing, copying, scanning and data organization.
- Assists with gathering information, updating files and other miscellaneous tasks related to the company’s conversion to a new general ledger system.
During this internship, the student will learn:
- To map accounts receivable workflows and outline procedural gaps
- To challenge process and assist in driving change
- To query the general ledger, reconcile accounts and discuss results with management
- To work independently in a professional business environment