Responsible for the day-to-day planning and support of National Indemnity Company’s Windows based server, workstation, and middleware application environment. Initiates projects and prepares project plans. Forms, schedules and leads project teams with minimal supervisory assistance. Works with IT management and other business process owners to identify and coordinate resource requirements to ensure successful project completion. Participates in research and development involving technical architecture, tools, products, and processes. Provides technical leadership and guidance to project team members and technical staff. Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Acts as senior level systems engineer for Windows-based servers, workstations, operating software, middleware, and peripheral equipment. Maintains advanced knowledge of Novell GroupWise and/or Microsoft Exchange; current and recent Windows server/workstation operating systems and middleware software; TCP/IP, DHCP and DNS; Citrix; Active Directory; printers and print servers; storage area networks; and ancillary hardware, including floppy drives, CD ROM drives, hard drives, network interface cards, video cards, power supplies, sound cards, and monitors.
- Analyzes and identifies inefficiencies or problems within the software and middleware systems; solves problems; and determines the need for additional hardware/software. Upgrades hardware and/or software to enhance performance or capabilities of the system, and conducts follow-ups as needed. Analyzes proposed project data requirements to determine the appropriate hardware and software needs to improve the capabilities of the systems software environment. Reviews system standards and procedures, and recommends changes to management. Provides documentation as necessary.
- Installs or upgrades operating systems and middleware software at both the server and workstation levels to provide needed capabilities for the user environment. Maintains knowledge of mission-critical software such as operating software, document imaging software, e-mail server software, financial software, systems management software, virtualization management software such as Hyper-V and VMWare, Storage Area Network management software, and backup/recovery tools and software.
- Establishes and maintains the system software security levels for users and user groups, and the data backup and restoration of all servers and key workstations. Analyzes, plans, implements and maintains backup and recovery mechanisms. Manages and plans for systems growth, including server, workstation, storage (local, NAS, and SAN), and backup capacity.
- Provides technical instructions and training to other support staff, and provides leadership and mentoring when necessary. Provides highest level technical support on software and server issues for the Systems Department staff.
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems during working hours and after hours as required by urgency or nature of situation.
- Researches and recommends software tools to management. Searches, summarizes, and keeps the team abreast of strategic information from all sources. Prepares white papers on technical subjects as appropriate. Prepares proposals for technical acquisitions. Makes presentations to client audiences or professional peers.
- Participates in technical architecture discussions with IT management and other IT teams as appropriate.
- Performs related duties as assigned or as the situation requires.