National Indemnity Company is one of the leading property/casualty members of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, earning the highest financial strength rating by A.M. Best: A++. Located in Omaha, NE, National Indemnity Company offers a wide selection of commercial insurance products and has the stability and strength agents and insureds have depended on for decades.
We have an immediate opening in our Accounting Department for an experienced and motivated Accountant responsible for preparing, analyzing, and communicating the internal and external financial statements, working papers, and statistical and management information related to one or more companies and/or divisions.
- Coordinates, compiles, reviews, reconciles, and/or analyzes financial information from various sources and prepares working papers and financial statements and supplementary schedules for one or more companies and/or divisions. This includes the statutory annual statement separate financial statement packages for assigned companies.
- Coordinates communication of daily, monthly, and year end accounting, and financial statement information between several offices. Responsible for review, analysis, and inquiries with respect to this information, including development and completion of management reports.
- Develops and maintains PC program applications using spreadsheet and/or database software to create processing systems and specific worksheets and databases used to meet various job duties. Develops and uses or coordinates use of downloaded PC databases from mainframe computer systems data as needed.
- Maintains current working knowledge of related insurance accounting and financial reporting developments by researching (reading related materials) and discussing with others.
- Responds to inquiries from internal and external auditors, state regulators, and others regarding financial transactions, balances, and procedures.
- Coordinates conversion of data from current general ledger to new general ledger currently being implemented. This includes reconciliations, analysis, and financial statement comparison in addition to developing new processes and procedures for assigned companies.
- Consolidates affiliate companies financial statements for GAAP reporting. This includes intercompany eliminations, complex tax schedules, and working closely with other staff who are responsible for certain foreign and U.S. domiciled companies.
- Performs special projects or related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
National Indemnity Company offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes insurance, retirement plan with company match, educational assistance reimbursement paid at 100% up front, comprehensive wellness program and many other benefits.
Bachelor degree in, accounting, finance or related field or equivalent
1-3 years related work experience
General accounting principles
Proficiency with applications such as Excel and Word
Ability to compile, analyze, and communicate financial information, meet deadlines, identify and solve problems, and organize workflow
Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of the organization