National Indemnity Company is one of the leading property/casualty members of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies. Located in Omaha, NE, National Indemnity Company offers a wide selection of commercial insurance products and has the stability and strength agents and insureds have depended on for decades.
We are looking for a motivated individual who will serve as an IT Systems/Software Engineer responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the Company’s Windows based server, workstation, and middleware application environment. This individual will initiate projects and prepare project plans.
- Acts as systems engineer for Windows-based servers, workstations, operating software, middleware, and peripheral equipment. Maintains advanced knowledge of Novell GroupWise and/or Microsoft Exchange; current and recent Windows server and workstation operating systems and middleware software; TCP/IP, DHCP and DNS; Active Directory; printers and print servers; storage area networks; and ancillary hardware.
- Installs or upgrades operating systems and middleware software at both the server and workstation levels to provide needed capabilities for the user environment. Maintains knowledge of mission-critical software such as operating software, document imaging software, e-mail server software, financial software, systems management software, virtualization management software such as Hyper-V and VMWare, Storage Area Network management software, and backup/recovery tools and software.
- Analyzes and identifies inefficiencies or problems within the software and middleware systems; solves problems; and determines the need for additional hardware/software. Upgrades hardware and/or software to enhance performance or capabilities of the system, and conducts follow-ups as needed.
- Establishes and maintains the system software security levels for users and user groups, and the data backup and restoration of all servers and key workstations. Manages and plans for systems growth, including server, workstation, storage (local, NAS, and SAN), and backup capacity.
- Degree in computer science or related field or equivalent
- 3-5 years related work experience
- Experience with Novell GroupWise or Microsoft Exchange
- Recent and current Windows server and workstation operating systems experience
- Experience with software installation and upgrade procedures on network servers and workstations
- Experience with basic operation of Microsoft Office, Visual Basic and other workstation software
- Data processing procedures
- PC and server hardware
- Ethernet twisted pair topology, switches, and routers
- Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of the organization
- ITIL or similar methodologies - Microsoft certification