National Indemnity Company is one of the leading property/casualty members of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, earning the highest financial strength rating by A.M. Best: A++. Located in Omaha, NE, National Indemnity Company offers a wide selection of commercial insurance products and has the stability and strength agents and insureds have depended on for decades.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes insurance, retirement plan with company match, educational assistance reimbursement paid at 100% up front, comprehensive wellness program and many other benefits.
We have an immediate opening for a Claim Specialist I or II.
Claim Specialist I:
The responsibilities of the Claim Specialist I include investigating and evaluating coverage, liability and loss, and as appropriate recommend denial or negotiate and settle assigned property damage and bodily injury claims, directly or through independent adjusters and within established authority.
Claim Specialist II:
The successful Claim Specialist II candidate will investigate, evaluate, provide defense if appropriate, negotiate and resolve assigned property damage and selected bodily injury claims reported under affiliated Companies’ insurance contracts, in accordance with those contracts and applicable law, within documented authority.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Investigate assigned claims reported under insurance contracts provided by affiliated Companies, including identification of information and documents needed to evaluate claims, assignment and direction of independent adjusters and review of public and other records and documents. Contact Insureds, Claimants and others by telephone and correspondence regarding information and documents necessary to evaluate and resolve claims, claim processes and related matters, and resolution alternatives. May engage defense counsel as directed and monitor defense of Insureds in consultation with Unit Manager as necessary.
- Identify, evaluate and, in consultation with Unit Manager as necessary, analyze and determine respective rights and obligations of Company, Insured, Claimants and others under insurance contracts applicable to assigned claims.
- Analyze, evaluate and estimate liability of Insureds and loss of Claimants for assigned claims and identify all potential losses to which Companies’ contracts of insurance apply. Identify and report potential fraud to Special Investigation Unit.
- Establish and timely modify appropriate case reserve reflecting available information regarding assigned claims. Review and approve or disapprove invoices from independent adjusters and others for allocated loss adjustment expenses. Maintain and timely review diary of assigned claims. Negotiate and resolve assigned claims within established authority, or submit authority request and recommend resolution to Unit Manager.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and timely record of communications with Insureds, Claimants and other third-parties; review, establish and modify appropriate units reflecting potential loss exposures; maintain appropriate Claim File including all required electronic and other records and provide information regarding assigned claims to Unit Manager and others as required.
- Obtain and maintain all required licenses and certifications; maintain current knowledge of insurance and claim management principles and practices through review of published opinions, trade periodicals and other professional literature and conferences.
Qualifications for Claim Specialist I:
-Bachelor degree or equivalent
-1-2 years related work experience preferred
-Excellent communication skills
-Strong analytical ability
-Basic knowledge of insurance preferred
Qualifications for Claim Specialist II:
-Bachelor degree or equivalent
-Interpretation and application of insurance contracts, insurance claim procedures, loss evaluation methods and claim resolution alternatives
-2 to 3 years related work experience (5 years related work experience preferred)
-Property Claim experience preferred
-Excellent oral and written communication, especially with individuals outside the Company
-Evaluation and analysis
-Analyze data, apply knowledge and logic, and draw conclusions
-Work independently within established authority
-Maintain strict confidentiality