National Indemnity Company is one of the leading property/casualty members of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, earning the highest financial strength rating by A.M. Best: A++. Located in Omaha, NE, National Indemnity Company offers a wide selection of commercial insurance products and has the stability and strength agents and insureds have depended on for decades.
We have an immediate opening for a Legal Assistant who will provide support for all functions of our Legal Department including clerical assistance, litigation assistance, preparation of documents, and organization and maintenance of legal files.
- Setting up, maintaining and organizing legal files and integrating new information into files. Identifying and inputting necessary information into computerized records and databases. Obtaining necessary documents and filings from court, counsel, administrative agencies, on-line services and other sources. Preparing chronologies, spreadsheets and other documents.
- Reviewing incoming correspondence and communications and taking appropriate action, including responding to correspondence, assembling necessary information and drafting response. Receiving, returning and initiating communication with insureds, claimants, counsel, experts, agents, adjusters and others.
- Drafting correspondence for attorneys and paralegals and reviewing and completing correspondence drafted or outlined by attorneys and paralegals. Scheduling mediations and discovery activities.
- Assisting paralegal and counsel in obtaining and organizing documents and information for discovery responses, subpoenas, regulatory filings and other matters. Assisting in preparing and responding to routine discovery requests, including interrogatories and requests for production of documents.
- Assisting paralegal and counsel in preparation and submission of pleadings, briefs, exhibits, and other legal documents, administrative filings and corporate documents; obtaining applicable court and administrative rules. Assuring compliance with court and administrative requirements as to filing forms, fees, deadlines, requisite number of copies to be filed, and other matters.